Bulalo made in the Instant Pot? Yes! Bulalo or beef bone marrow stew is a Filipino dish traditionally made with beef shank and beef bones with marrow. It is like bone broth I would say, with all the delicious goodness like collagen you’d get from simmering bones for a few hours.
I didn’t try making bulalo at home until I got an Instant Pot, knowing that it would’ve taken hours to make the beef tender. With the Instant Pot, it just takes 30 minutes at pressure, plus a few more minutes to cook the vegetables. So easy!
What do I need to make Instant Pot Bulalo?
Beef and Bones
Try to get grass-fed beef if you can. Cows are not meant to eat grains, they naturally graze on grass. Feeding cows something other than grass just to make them grow faster has made them sick thus requiring the use of antibiotics.
Remember, we are what our food eats. Grass-fed beef also has higher levels of omega-3. Read more about the benefits of grass-fed beef here.
We get our grass-fed beef from a local farmer. I get stewing beef and beef soup bones that have the bone marrow. You’ll want bone marrow as this is what makes this beef stew bulalo.
Vegetables and Spices
Slice some onions. Peel and quarter some potatoes. Cut up some green cabbage.
You’ll need whole peppercorns and salt too.
How do I make Instant Pot Bulalo?
Add the beef and bones into the Instant Pot. I usually just dump the frozen beef and bones directly into the pot without thawing.
Add the sliced onions, whole peppercorns and salt. Then add water until everything is covered.
Cover and set the Instant Pot to Meat/Stew (or Manual at high pressure) for 30 minutes.
When it’s done, let the pressure release naturally, then open the Instant Pot.
You may want to scoop out the bones and meat at this point to make some room for the vegetables.
Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Just leave at the default setting and keep the lid off. This is just to keep the stew hot.
Add the potatoes and cabbage. When the potatoes are tender, turn off the Instant Pot. Add more salt to taste.
Total Cook Time = time to build pressure + cook time at pressure + time to release pressure + sauté time
Instant Pot Bulalo
There you have it – Instant Pot Bulalo! Look at all that bone marrow goodness. Yum!
Serve over some rice and enjoy while warm!
Tip: I usually save the bones and use them to make Instant Pot Bone Broth.
Please leave a comment or rate this recipe below!
Check out my other Instant Pot recipes too:
- Instant Pot Bone Broth
- Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Mung Bean Stew or Monggo Guisado
- Instant Pot Pork Adobo
Did you like this recipe? Please support me on Ko-fi!
Instant Pot Bulalo or Beef Bone Marrow Stew
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 2 lb beef soup bones with bone marrow
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cups water
- 3 potatoes
- 1 green cabbage
- In an Instant Pot, add the beef, bones, onion, peppercorns, salt and water. Cover and set to Meat/Stew (or Manual at high pressure) for 30 minutes.
- While the stew is cooking, peel and quarter the potatoes. Core the cabbage, and cut into 1 to 2 inch chunks.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, allow pressure to release naturally. Carefully open the lid. You many want to scoop out the bones and meat to make room for the vegetables.
- Set to Sauté mode at default setting, then add the potatoes and cabbage. Leave the lid off. Cook until potatoes are fork tender, this should not take 30 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve warm and enjoy!