I love kale and I love coconut milk, so here is an easy and healthy recipe to use both in one dish - Squash and Kale in Coconut Milk!
Kale. If there's a leafy green vegetable I would consume on a regular basis, I pick kale. I love that it's so nutritious (high in vitamins K, A and C) and it's so easy to grow your own kale too!
Kale was one of the first vegetables I grew in our backyard garden. It's so easy to grow and really hardy, it will survive even until the frost comes (in January where I live). I make sure to plant kale in our garden every year.
To keep kale fresh, just place it in a jar of water until you're ready to use it.
De-stem and roughly chop or tear the kale into 1-2 inch pieces.
Butternut squash is a winter squash that is high in vitamin A. It's orange flesh means it is high in carotenoids.1
I used to get acorn squash, but found it hard to peel. Butternut squash is easier to peel and cut, so I use it when I need squash in my dishes.
To prepare the squash, peel and cut to around ½ inch cubes. You can do this step ahead of time.
Coconut milk provides creaminess and healthy fats to this dish. I like Cha's Organics coconut milk which has no added guar gum.
Turmeric provides anti-inflammatory benefits and complements the coconut milk.
I used shrimp for this dish. You can opt to substitute with your protein of choice - chicken, pork or beans.
If you are using frozen shrimp, de-frost them, peel and cut into 1 inch pieces.
Making Squash and Kale in Coconut Milk
In a large pan or wok, add the coconut oil. When heated, add the garlic and onion, and sauté until onions are soft and translucent, around 5 minutes.
Add turmeric and stir to make sure everything is well coated.
Add shrimp if using. Or you can substitute with your protein of choice.
Add the squash and coconut milk. Stir well. Let boil, then cover and turn down heat to let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Add kale and salt. Stir well. Cook a few more minutes until kale is a little soft and squash is fork tender.
Add more salt to taste if required.
Add red chili pepper flakes if you want to make this a spicy dish.
Serve warm over some rice or as is. Enjoy!
Let me know how you like this recipe! Please leave a comment or rating below.
Try my other recipes too:
Squash and Kale in Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup shrimp peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cubed (roughly 5 cups)
- 1 400 mL can coconut milk
- 1 bunch kale de-stemmed and torn into 1-2 inch pieces (roughly 5-6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large pan or wok set to medium heat, add coconut oil.
- When oil is hot, add garlic and onion. Sauté until onions are soft and translucent, around 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric and stir well.
- Add shrimp (or your protein of choice) and cook until they turn pink.
- Add squash and coconut milk. Stir well. Let boil, then cover and turn down heat to let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add kale and salt. Stir well. Cook for a few more minutes until kale softens and squash is fork tender.
- To make this spicy, add red chili pepper flakes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Use your protein of choice instead of shrimp.