I used to make bone broth on the stove top and simmer it for 24 hours. Ever since I got this Instant Pot, I’ve been using it to make bone broth in just 2 hours! Why would you make Instant Pot Bone Broth? Bone broth has collagen which has been found to help with leaky gut.
Benefits of Bone Broth
- A good bone broth helps to heal the gut and strengthen the digestive system.1
- Good bone broth has collagen/gelatin, glycine, keratin, and other amino acids and minerals that benefit skin, teeth, bones, joints, hair and nails.2
- Read more about the benefits of bone broth here.
What You’ll Need
You’ll need soup bones with marrow, preferably from grass-fed beef. When using beef bones, you’ll want to roast them in the oven at 450°F for 30 minutes. This will enhance the flavour of the bone broth. You can also use the carcass of a roasted chicken instead.
Next you’ll need carrots, celery, onions, garlic and bay leaves. When using organic onions and carrots, no need to peel them, just roughly chop into smaller pieces. Add small pieces of kombu to add more minerals into the bone broth.
Into the Instant Pot
Place all the ingredients into your Instant Pot. Add water just until 1 inch below the max line. Add the apple cider vinegar. This will help extract the minerals from the bones.
Press the manual button and set the timer to the maximum setting. Might be 120 minutes or 240 minutes depending on your Instant Pot. Tip: Press down until you reach zero, then press down again. That would be the maximum setting on your Instant Pot.
When the bone broth is done, let the pressure release naturally before opening the pot. Strain out all the solids. Compost them as all the nutrients should already have been extracted into the broth. Pour the bone broth into glass jars. When freezing, leave about an inch or two headspace from the top of the jar to prevent it from breaking. Or freeze into ice cubes so you can use as needed.
- Drink a cup of bone broth a day to help heal leaky gut.
- Use it as a soup base.
- Try it with my other soup recipes:
- Instant Pot Bulalo or Beef Bone Marrow Stew
- Instant Pot Mung Bean Stew or Monggo Guisado
- Instant Pot Pork Adobo
Instant Pot Bone Broth
Make bone broth in an Instant Pot and have it ready in no time.
- 1 lb beef bones with marrow or carcass of roasted chicken
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 1-inch pieces kombu
- 12-14 cups water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Optional: Roast beef bones in oven at 450oF for 30 minutes.
Place bones, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves and kombu in the Instant Pot.
Add water until 1 inch below the max line.
Add apple cider vinegar.
Set to manual mode for 2 hours (or 4 hours if your Instant Pot allows).
Let pressure release naturally.
Strain out all the solids.
Pour broth into glass jars. Store in the refrigerator or freeze.
- Bartlett, Emily, L.Ac. The Eczema Cure: Heal from the Inside Out. N.p.: Holistic Squid, n.d. 28. Holistic Squid. Web. 20 Oct. 2016.
- Bartlett 27.